Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Mardi Gras



The next chapter in the cookbook is Cajun. Shrimp Remoulade, Crab Cakes, Gumbo, Boudin and a famous New Orleans sandwich called a Muffuletta are a few of the dishes from Cajun country. I spent a couple of hours at the New Orleans airport once on a long trip across the country. Long story about how and why I ended up in New Orleans on a return trip from Washington DC. Unfortunately, there was no sightseeing involved.



I have a great desire to visit New Orleans. Two annual events are on my bucket list: Mardi Gras and The New Orleans Jazz and Blues Heritage Festival (which always falls around my birthday). So far I have not made it but someday…..



I was contemplating dinner tonight and thought, what the heck I need, to recipe check the Muffuletta recipes (bread, meats, cheese, olive salad).  So I gathered the meats and cheeses, the vegetables I need for the olive salad and headed to the kitchen.
Olive Salad
Mozzarella, Genoa Salami, Mortadella, Hot Capicola & Provolone


















First, I made muffuletta bread. A basic bread dough with a big dab of shortening mixed in for tenderness. While the bread was raising, mixed up the olive salad. There are many recipes for this. I have combined a couple of different recipes and came up with a satisfying mix. It should sit for a week before eating but I am hungry tonight. 

Muffuletta Bread



There is controversy on every step of this famous sandwich. The least of which is the spelling. If you look up the name it’s spelled: Muffaletta and Muffuletta. There are many different recipes. Legend has it that the sandwich was invented at the Central Grocery and Deli in New Orleans. I am choosing their spelling and general way to prepare the sandwich.






I got everything ready and then realized IT’S MARDI GRAS TODAY!!!!!!!!! So I am having a little celebration. Have Pandora set to Mardi Gras Radio and I just need a parade!




No comments: